Here we are starting with our blog series on “to overcome stress”.This is our Exercise no 1 for the series.
Affects of stress can go severe if not handled and not controlled properly on time.When we are in stress we face a lot of pain and to overcome those stress attacks. We have to do some physical and mental exercises.This will keep your mind peaceful and in relaxing state.
Overcome stress(Activity No-1)
ROLL BREATHING:The object of roll breathing is to develop full use of your lungs and get in touch with the rhythm of your breathing. It can be practiced in any position, but it is best to learn it lying on your back, with your knees bent.
- Place your left hand on your abdomen and your right hand on your chest. Notice how your hands move as you breathe in and out.
- Practice filling your lower lungs by breathing so that your left hand goes up when you inhale and your right hand remains still. Always inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Keep your shoulders relaxed, and don’t shrug them.
- When you have filled and emptied your lower lungs 8 to 10 times. Add the second step to your breathing: Inhale first into your lower lungs as before, and then continue inhaling into your upper chest. As you do so, your right hand will rise and your left hand will fall a little as your abdomen falls.
- As you exhale slowly through your mouth, make a quiet, whooshing sound as first your left hand. Repeat it with your right hand falls. As you exhale, feel the tension leaving your body as you become more and more relaxed.
- Practice breathing in and out in this manner for 3 to 5 minutes. Notice that the movement of your abdomen and chest is like rolling waves rising and falling in a rhythmic motion.
- When eliciting the relaxation response:
- Metabolism decreases
- Heart beats slower and your muscles relax
- Breathing becomes slower
- Blood pressure decreases
- Levels of nitric oxide are increased
Practice roll breathing daily for several weeks until you can do it almost anywhere, providing you with an instant relaxation tool any time you need one.